By Shelley A. Stahl, Geoffrey Kemp (eds.)
Read Online or Download Arms Control and Weapons Proliferation in the Middle East and South Asia PDF
Best middle eastern books
Writer of Balkan Ghosts, Robert D. Kaplan now travels from West Africa to Southeast Asia to file on a global of disintegrating realms, warring nationalities, metastasizing populations, and dwindling assets. He emerges with a gritty travel de strength of commute writing and political journalism. no matter if he's strolling via a shantytown within the Ivory Coast or a dying camp in Cambodia, speaking with refugees, border guards, or Iranian revolutionaries, Kaplan travels below the main hard stipulations and purveys the main startling truths.
Palestinian Literature and movie in Postcolonial Feminist point of view is the 1st sustained research of gender-consciousness within the Palestinian inventive mind's eye. Drawing on options from postcolonial feminist idea, Ball analyses a number of literary and filmic works by way of significant artistic practitioners together with Michel Khleifi , Liana Badr, Annemarie Jacir, Elia Suleiman, Mona Hatoum and Suheir Hammad, and divulges a hitherto unrecognized trajectory in gender-consciousness below improvement within the Palestinian mind's eye from the beginning of the 20th century.
This anthology of up to date fiction and poetry through Israeli girls writers comprises works initially written in Hebrew, Arabic, Russian, and English. This booklet introduces the robust and provocative new fiction and poetry of Israel's ladies writers to an English-speaking viewers. learn jointly, the tales and poems during this publication can help to create a extra subtle knowing of center japanese passions and realities, and may foster a wealth of dialogue in regards to the meanings of place of birth, exile, and diaspora; women's sexuality and spirituality; gender roles; the legacy of the Holocaust; the tensions and reconciliations of faith and secular existence; the consequences of warfare; and the ability of reminiscence.
- Enhanced Interrogation: Inside the Minds and Motives of the Islamic Terrorists Trying to Destroy America
- For God and Country?: Religious Student-Soldiers in the Israel Defense Forces
- An Afghanistan Picture Show: Or, How I Saved the World
- America and Political Islam: Clash of Cultures or Clash of Interests?
Additional info for Arms Control and Weapons Proliferation in the Middle East and South Asia
If South Africa carries out its stated intention ofjoining theN uclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) regime, it could actually tum out to be the first nuclear threshold state to renounce its atomic option in the framework of the treaty. Only in the Korean peninsula can the situation be said to exhibit some characteristics similar to those that obtain in the Middle East and South Asia: intense political rivalry coupled with a conventional arms race and local research and development (R&D) and production efforts with admixtures of nuclear suspicion.
The new regime should include a variety of restraints and inhibitions as well as economic sanctions. The International Missile and Space Organization proposed by the Soviet Union could play a part in that mechanism. The principles of seeking political means to strengthen security and of making consistent efforts to resolve the problems that emerge make it imperative that the question of missile technology non-proliferation be placed on the agenda of practical negotiations as soon as possible. 4 The Strategic Implications of Chemical Weapons Proliferation Brad Roberts The 1991 war against Iraq brought to the fore a problem that long had lurked behind the scenes in the politics and military affairs of the Middle East-the presence of chemical weapons.
9. For a survey and discussion of terrorist interest in chemical weapons, see the chapter by Joseph F. Pilat in Binary Weapons, pp. 31-47. 10. For a discussion of the historical record on chemical deterrence, see Frederic J. : Greenwood Press, 1968), and John Ellis van Courtland Moon, "Chemical Weapons and Deterrence: The World War II Experience," International Security 8 (Spring 1984): 3--35. 5 - Mayhem or Deterrence? Regional and Global Security from Non-Proliferation to Post-Pro I iferat ion Christophe Carle Weapons proliferation, loosely understood to include the horizontal and vertical spread of sophisticated conventional armaments as well as weapons of mass destruction and their means of delivery, has attracted increasing attention, especially since the massive use of surface-to-surface missiles (SSMs) and chemical weapons in the Iran-Iraq war.
Arms Control and Weapons Proliferation in the Middle East and South Asia by Shelley A. Stahl, Geoffrey Kemp (eds.)